Monday, March 15, 2010

A New Fad... Orange IS Primitive Right????

LOL I just drew you in didn't I??? You couldn't wait to see what my brain is coming up with next. Just keep looking and you'll see my new candle holder we made did change colors. It's kinda like a chameleon.

Yesterday I realized I hadn't made anything for awhile so out I went to my wood pile again. I tried to draw a picture of what I wanted for Steve to look at. Ummm... yea... for some reason it always looks better in my head. Anyway, I know I had seen pictures, but couldn't remember where either. I for the life of me can't draw in 3-D either. But good old Steve thought he knew what I wanted. So out in the rain to the garage he went. He came up with this...



First I painted it with this orangey bright peachy paint... Pretty ain't she???? Nice.... I shoulda left it... NOT!!!!!!!



Next the bright turquoise color... Put your sunglasses on it's bright... What was I thinking... A little paint technique magic as you can see.



Time to sand a little... You can kinda see the orange...



And finally the finished product all stained up... It's still drying but I couldn't wait to show you. I keep seeing items with the salmon and turquoise and just love the look. It is something very different from what I have. I think this will be my new fad of choice in color... Whatcha think????

Pin It

22 comments:

  1. I love the construction of this piece!
    The paint is very beachy prim! I can't wait to see what else you come up with!
    Your mind must be always going...how on earth do you sleep?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like an old color we used to see long ago....seeing it more in the country decorating books. you did a great job primming it up...go for it!! Sherrie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the color combo!!!!! I really love blues too..Great job on it>

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the color, very bright for spring. After awhile you do not like the color, just paint it again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have one of those candle holders but I gotta say - the blue isn't for me - even though it is colonial!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mary , I am enjoying your blog so much.You really have an eye & talent for transformations and prim colonial displays. This candle keep turned out fabulous!..I love these two colors after the stain aging. BEAUTIFUL! Thank you for sharing it on your blog....i think i passed up on a similar blue and peachy mis-tint ($5 a gallon) at Lowes this morning...I'll go back and get thanks to you.
    Thanks, Misi

    ReplyDelete
  7. You had me scared there for a few minutes! LOL....I like what you did with it though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with the lady that said it was an old country color...it is neat!!!

    Rondell

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great combination. I love that color blue over just about anything but this is prim perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Mary thanks for visiting my blog today & and leaving a comment about my new found trunk.... I have to agree I think its going to be my new/old coffee table lol..Wishing you a great evening.Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love it-- that blue is getting popular!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sorry Mary, my whole comment didn't come through for some reason earlier. I typed something mych longer. What I was saying was that even though the blue isn't for me, it is defintely interesting. When historians find the real true colors of paint from colonial times, they are often as bright as that. It was sometimes the only way they could get color in their lives. So you are not only starting a trend but reviving one!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mary, I love it but I have to admit I was a bit scared with the orange but the blue painted over it with a little distressing and some stain it turned out so cute...great job, but you always do!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The piece is beautiful! Great job!. I want one, LOL. I have some old Early American Life Magazines that show furniture pieces with the color combination that you choose.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think it turned out awesome! Your aging process rocks!
    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Pam,
    I LOVE IT!!! You have just given me some ideas. I have been MIA for awhile but I am looking forward to catching up! have a blessed day!
    Juanita

    ReplyDelete
  17. I didn't quite know where you were going with those colors, but I LIKE IT!
    Nice work...the both of you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love it, and I would never hav thought to do that. You have a great eye. Have a super day. Julie

    ReplyDelete
  19. ooooo, I really like the finish!
    T

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, that turned out great! Of couse I like anything blue thesee days. I've loved that old salmon color for a while too, but don't have any yet...

    Katherine

    ReplyDelete
  21. Boy, I sure was skeptical! Your new candleholder is very nice! The color is definitely reminiscent of the early american/colonial style. I love the aging job you did on it. Very well done indeed, Mary!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by. I appreciate each and everyone of you. Please feel free to comment here or email me.