Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Who Me Shabby Chic????

I know I promised this yesterday, but I got busy working at two of my jobs then came home and had to watch one of my favorite shows. If you haven't seen it it's called "Cake Boss." It's on TLC channel. Love this guy and his staff. They are so creative. But I digress. LOL.

Once again I am at work in my ambulance minding my own business when I get this pic message from Steve. "What do you think?" Of course my answer is "Where are you?" "The Salvation Army and they are $3.99 a piece and I figure you could paint them up." So he buys them shoves them in the front seat of his truck and brings them to me at work. I happened to be at the shop when he came. All smiles he's like whatcha think? Whew I'm thinking these are UGLY what the heck am I gonna do with these.

Ok so here they are... all lonely and dirty at the Salvation Army. Actual picture phone pictures lol. You like the smokey finish? I thought it was screaming take me home and put me in your house. LOL. NOT!!!!





I'm thinking what the heck are they? So the conversation goes on and it appears that they were once a part of a dressing/makeup table but part of it is gone. Maybe they were then used as end tables. Pretty awesome aren't they. I know you all are thinking why didn't you leave them alone Mary. Well, you know me I couldn't leave them well enough alone.

I kept wondering what I was going to do with them. Finally it hit me. My daughter kept bugging me to paint her room she was bored with off white. Well, since we live in a rental I'm not allowed. BOOOO HISSSSS!!!! so the next best thing was decorate her room with color. She needs a desk since she will now be a Freshman, which by the way is hard to believe. (Oh on another note she passed all her proficiency tests except Math which she has an IEP for and it doesn't count against her.) For those who are new my daughter has multiple learning disabilities. Anyway, Steve helped me sand and paint her new desk. We went to the local glass shop and bought the top. I just about fell over on the price when Steve told me. For tempered glass (which is safer for my daughter) with rounded edges was $91.00. I told Steve I didn't have the money and that we would figure out something else. He said no that he was buying it for her. Now she can put her pictures under the glass. He bought her a cork board with a white board for messages,a new dog calendar for 2010,and some dog stamps and plastic bin to keep them in. He was so proud of it he put it up that night for her. I had another idea for a cork board that I was going to cover in fabric and criss cross ribbon on it, but not now since he did this for her.

So here is the finished product. New plastic glass looking knobs and paint job. Not very prim, but when I asked her what her favorite colors were this was what she told me. Well she told me sky blue, green, red, black, with hearts and flowers. UGHHH... OK I kinda like the shabby chic look but she loves it so everyone's happy.



Pin It

20 comments:

  1. Wow, Mary! You're so clever! That looks great! I know your daughter loves it! And Steve sounds like such a nice guy! I'm so glad for you!

    Blessings,
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh WOW!!! I LOVE it!
    You guys did a faboulous job!
    I am sure your daughter is on cloud nine right now and how sweet and thoughtful of Steve :)

    I am so happy that you are back into crafting :) Love seeing your new makeovers.

    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is awesome--I love it!! I know I would have never thought of doing that--you guys are amazing!! Julie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I love it Mary! It turned out great!How nice for Steve to do that for your daughter. :-) Have a great day!
    Janae

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a guy huh? It looks wonderful and I'm sure your daughter is so happy with it!
    Rondell

    ReplyDelete
  6. That turned out really great! And what a nice guy Steve is! Sounds like a keeper!
    Congrats to your daughter on her accomplishments! I'm sure having a wonderful desk will make studying a lot more fun for her (if studying can be fun!). LOL!
    Enjoy the rest of your week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! That is so great and that Steve is a nice guy. How sweet and thoughtful.

    I can relate to not being able to paint walls...rental
    and
    to having a child who struggles with learning problems. My son, now 21, has dyslexia/adhd. These are the most special kids for sure.

    Enjoyed your post.
    God Bless
    T

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is a great idea!...We are building a new home and my kiddos are in need of new desks....might have to think about something like this!...You two did a great job with this one!

    I am so happy for you and your new "beau"!!!...He is a keeper girl!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love it! The coloring looks so nice. What a makeover and it's the perfect desk for a young woman :)

    Have a great day :)

    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks great Mary, Your daughter must be so happy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh wow, those stands look great like that! How clever of you to think of that. Your daughter must be so happy to have a new desk.

    Oh, I'll be happy to send you some rain. Lots and lots and lots of it! :)
    Blessings~ Birgit

    ReplyDelete
  12. great job!! i am loving it! i wold have bought them in a flash. i am so needing some nightstands.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is so neat! You did a great job. Very creative.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very cool - what a great trash to treaure Mary, And by the way... Steve sounds like a keeper too!

    hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great job! It turned out beautiful!
    Great to see you blogging again! Take care, Kimberly

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your project turned out great! I really like the color you chose. I once had two of those similar, like someone took a vanity apart??? I like what you did to yours. Karen

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great makeover! No wonder your daughter loves it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I agree, it's great to see you online more often! You were definitely missed!

    What genious idea with the end tables! A fab makeover!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love it!! And Steve? He's a keeper! Oh, could you loan him? I have a few ideas.............LOL!
    And Congratulations to your daughter!! I am so glad that things are coming around for you and yours!!
    Jan

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by. I appreciate each and everyone of you. Please feel free to comment here or email me.