Tuesday, January 4, 2011

When Does Function Beat Fad ?

If you are a Facebook friend you might remember one of my posts yesterday about this subject. In a nutshell basically Theresa (one of my Facebook friends)and I were discussing this. When does function beat out decorating?

Yesterday as I was working on my quilt in my dining room I began to think about this very question. Yeah yeah there was smoke and everything coming from my ears. LOL. Since I live in such a small place I don't have room for a bunch of stuff. Don't get me wrong I LOVE to decorate my home. But it almost getting to the point of overwhelming. The discussion yesterday was about starting collections and how they grow until you have way too many. LOL. Then you know you need to get rid of stuff and with good intentions you start a pile. Then you have no idea what to do with that pile sell it or donate it so the pile sits. Anyway, since my dining room is my main crafting space I need to make it more functional. Here's the thing... people will still see this room so I need to make it visually attractive as well as functional.

If you'll remember my boxes I painted store a lot of my sewing stuff. All my scissors, thread, embroidery floss, etc are all in these visually attractive functional hide away... (I have begun to take down my Christmas stuff so they aren't complete displays.) :)





Then Steve made me the apothecary look alike to hide my sewing machine. Again functional yet decorative...



Do you see where I'm going with this? You all know I LOVE my dining room but I want to make it more functional. So where am I going with all of this? Well, I told Theresa yesterday that I wanted to decorate my cabinet with fabric from my collection. She pointed out that people decorate with quilts and coverlets so why not fabric. I totally agree. I found this picture in one of my quilting magazines and thought that it looked awesome. Of course it is filled with wool, but why wouldn't it work with fabric?



Granted a lot of my fabric has a pattern on it but you could still stack by color. At that point you could add all types of colors to your room instead of a certain color palette. Again very functional so when the mood strikes I can have my fabric ready to go instead of in the basement in totes. I could see at all times what I have in my stash and know what coordinates and what doesn't. Then my dining room would start looking like either a. a quilting shop or b. an olde time mercantile or option c. a worse mess. LOL. So this leads to what I am going to attempt in my empty cupboard.



This is my last day off and I am going to work on it today. Wish me luck. LOL. By the way I believe I will have a stack of homespun that I want to get rid of. I just don't use homespun in my decorating scheme anymore. Let me take a closer look and I will let you know. We can either do a fabric swap or you can buy it.

In an attempt to think about this move I decided to empty off the cupboard and came up with this little display in my dining room.



I was mulling over in my mind what I want to do and then Steve came home. LOL. That always changes my thought pattern. He had been working on some new pretties/ thrift store redos for my house. No pictures yet as I need to paint them.LOL. Again Theresa and I were talking about thrift store finds and staying out of the shops because we already have enough stuff. Anyway, my thought pattern changed to a pie safe cabinet thing with screen or chicken wire on all sides. I have seen these in magazines where people have put quilts or coverlets in them. So for now, I will use my cabinet I already have until he makes me my new fabric stash cabinet.

I know this is a bad picture, but I got it out of Country Sampler. This is sort of what I want. Steve is all anxious to start building. LOL. P.S. if you have one of these cabinets shoot me a picture through my email. Thanks.



This is another New Year's resolution. It is one I make every year to get more organized. So today I will be working on it. I am off Thursday again and will try to get pictures of my progress. Wish me luck. LOL. I am so anxious to give it a try.
Pin It

14 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are headed in the right direction, getting organized!
    Over the Holidays I boxed up items for a spring garage sale, old items which I don't use anymore...It is just amazing to me how much stuff I have>>that I don't use! So I am saying goodbye to some things!
    enjoy the day, can't wait to see your progress!
    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your idea of putting the fabric in a chicken wire sided
    cabinet--easy to get to and it will make a nice display.
    And think of this-- you can BUY more fabric to go in the cabinet as "display"--it's decor not fabric-stash hoarding!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have seen fabric cabinets done like you are working on. It looks so pretty and organized when complete. Can't wait to see yours!

    Carmen and the Primcats

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had my son make me some retro pie safe cupboards out of old barnboard. I keep some of my fabric stash in them. Even filled with the newer fabrics, I find they are a beautiful focal point in my sitting rooms. I will post them on my blog today if you care to take a look http://pumpkinhollowprimitives.blogspot.com/ . They were the best way to store part of my stash! Would love to put my wools in them, but I am afraid they might attract moths...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Denise!
    I am lovin' what I see so far in your new makeover display of all your crocks. It was great chatting with ya and you really inspired me to get organized too. And you would be proud of me, I went to the Amish store today and didn't buy a thing. I saw some things(another rolling pin)lol...but didn't even want to buy it. Maybe the brainwashing has begun!!! Can't wait to see all your pretty fabric on your hutch...gonna look great. Have fun on thursday and I'll be checking on your progress.
    Hugs Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your idea sounds great. The cabinet in the magazine is pretty. I like the new display you put together. I love seeing all your new things you do in your beautiful home. I keep looking back at your make do chair. I just have to find a place for one. I am at a stand still with the fireplace redo I posted. If you have any thoughts to share on it I welcome them. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think your ideas sound wonderful, can't wait to see.
    Blessings,
    Lorna

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Mary,
    I think the idea of using fabric is a good one. Why not? I too hide my stuff in my cheeseboxes, easy access until I tackle my craft room. It's not organized at all.
    I think all of your hiding spots are neat, especially the sewing machine cover!
    Take care,
    Renee

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think your fabric will look great in your cabinet. Can't wait to see your finished project.

    Blessings.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  10. I picked up a cute cabinet at a Thrift store for $5, brought it home, painted it black and it is the current home to all of my fabric. I love your idea of using it as decor too! Can't wait to see what you have come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can understand what you are saying..Can't wait to see what you come up with..I know it will be great..

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great post and I'm sure many of us relate to what you are saying. Happy Organizing. I love your ideas
    T

    ReplyDelete
  13. i saw that picture too: i just have all my fabrics in the dining room in baskets so I can see them.

    can't wait to see it finished!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Are you friends with Micki Groom Creamer on facebook? She has a small apartment and has some of her fabrics and whatnots displayed on a table, yet she uses them. It's a really neat display. Here is one picture I pulled up: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=106493916044372&set=a.106493752711055.13442.100000512911445. If you are friends with her, check out her album titled "Micki's Prims". I think she has some neat ideas. Let me know if you can't pull it up.

    I love your idea with the cabinet! I think it will look great.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by. I appreciate each and everyone of you. Please feel free to comment here or email me.