Friday, August 20, 2010

My Make-Do Chair and an Answer

I finally got Steve to help me move my make-do chair upstairs a couple nights ago. It is not finished as I need to make the cushion. My new BFF Stacie (remember the one at work who decorates like me) has some Amish friends, who she thinks I might be able to get some sawdust from. YYIIPPEEE!!!! Oh yeah I can talk about Stacie because I know she reads my blog now. So technically I am not talking behind her back. LOL. Let's see her exact words this morning were... "You're gonna think I'm a stalker." LOL. We are both trying to talk her partner in to going part time so I can be her permanent partner. Oh and is this soon enough Rose for a post??? LOL. Nothing like going into one of my favorite prim shops and one of the ladies, who reads my blog tells me I'm not posting often enough. LOL. I guess that means I need to get busy and start crafting. Thanks for the kick in the behind. :-)

This make do chair bottom was made out of some of the junk table legs Steve and I found for free a couple weeks ago. Steve then used plywood for the back and sides. I covered it in quilt batting and made the slip cover for it. Not too shabby for my first one. I'm having Steve make a footstool to go with it cuz this chair is HUGE. If I sit all the way back my feet don't touch the ground. LOL.



Since we are in my bedroom I thought I'd share a pic of my shelf with my really cheap Goodwill blanket crane.



I'm playing with my camera to try different settings so I'll share just a few more pics with ya.





Some of you asked awhile back about how to use oven cleaner to strip paint. I am so sorry I didn't post this sooner I kept forgetting. This has to be done on a sunny day or it won't work. Go buy regular spray oven cleaner. I buy the cheapest I can find at Wal-mart. Take the item you want to strip outside. Warning: The fumes can get a little strong at times so spray with the wind at your back. Anyway, spray your item thoroughly with the cleaner. Let it sit in the sun for 10-15 minutes... don't let the oven cleaner dry on there! Then get a bucket of water, steel wool, and paper towels. Start scrubbing the item with the wood grain with the steel wool rinsing the steel wool in water often. Then wipe off with a damp clean paper towel. Keep applying the cleaner and scrubbing as much as needed to get the paint off. This is tedious and takes time, but well worth it.

The one on the Left was white... I haven't repainted the other one yet.



and now...

Pin It

8 comments:

  1. I would have never thought to try
    oven cleaner on a bowl...Great
    tip! Thanks..

    Bear Hugs~Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the chair! U r always up to something! lOl

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your shelf display. The crane is a beautiful addition. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the chair! Thanks for the oven cleaner tip!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like your chair. If by chance you do not get the sawdust maybe try pine shavings. Tractor supply has large block bags. I use it for pet bedding. You could stuff it as firm as you like. They also have cedar chips if you like the smell of cedar. Your blanket crane & shelf look great too. I was wondering about the oven cleaner for removing paint. Thanks for the add on info.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too, love your decorating style. I love that new chair. I would have liked to see the process of making it. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jean from Higganum, CT Have been wanting to try making my own make-do chair. Have a question about upholstering it, do you use a slipcover method. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. jjmaplesyrup@att.netOctober 25, 2011 at 3:42 PM

    Jean Chittenden, Higganum, CT I have wanted to make my own make-do chair. I have a question on how you went about upholstering, did you use a slipcover method. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by. I appreciate each and everyone of you. Please feel free to comment here or email me.