Monday, March 9, 2020

Bathroom Redo

When I bought this house almost 3 years ago I repainted almost every room with the exceptions of the bathrooms, laundry room, and my son's room.  Mind you nothing had been done since the house was built in 1995.  It still had the original contractor cream on all the walls.  I left my bathroom alone up until a couple weeks ago.  That look needed to go.  Keep in mind I have a very small budget so I did what I could.

My sink was chipping and stained.  We have nasty water here in my town.  We have a softener but for a long time it wasn't working properly until I did my research and fixed it.  At that point it was too late because the finish was worn off the sink.



The oak cabinet is still in very good shape, but the gold handles need to go.


The flooring is still in very good shape.  It is an ugly pattern with blue and pink BUT no need to replace it yet.


The light above the sink is a shiny mirrored gold and silver with round bulbs.  It screamed 90's!  I have no other storage so the medicine cabinet stays.


Now for the update.  It cost me less than $500 to give it a face lift.  My son helped me with this little project. I'm not done decorating, but I thought I'd share it with you. 


Yes, I kept the flooring and the oak cabinet.  I couldn't bring myself to paint it because it was in such good shape and all of the woodwork is oak as well.  The paint on the walls is leftover paint from my living room so $0 spent.


 A very good friend of mine sent me this mustard plaid shower curtain that I never used until now.  The picture I've had for 5-6 years, but haven't used it in about that long. LOL.




I changed the knobs and pulls with brushed nickle.  I also LOVE the sink because it is all one piece.  I didn't want one with a lip where the counter meets the sink. I finally found this one at Menards's, which is quickly becoming one of my favorite stores.  The sink and faucet is where most of my money went.


Not much choice on a light when it is attached to your medicine cabinet. 


Last but not least a new shelf made from a vintage drawer of some sorts.  I bought 2 of these a few years back and they have floated around being used for all sorts of stuff.  But I love it because no my stuff won't get knocked off the shelf.  I even raised it a bit so Bill wouldn't hit his head on it. LOL


I love my new bathroom.  I need to put some other things on walls, but I'm trying to decide what I want because of the moisture in there.  So, that may take some time.  I'll keep you posted.



Pin It

11 comments:

  1. Wow, the bathroom looks so nice! So glad you are blogging again. Tina

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that drawer shelf and the support. Great idea! And very nice update. Now I'm wondering if we installed my friend's bathroom lights upside down (we had the lights facing down). Well, I guess they can go either way and she hasn't complained. Yet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would like them how you said upside down better cause the light wouldn't just shine on the celling

      Delete
    2. I agree that the light would work better the other way; however, I would not be able to open my medicine cabinet. These lights can be flipped either way Marly. I had to do what I had to do.

      Delete
  3. Looks good, I like the little shelf and the new sink. I dream of renovating our bathroom but it's going to be a massive overhaul and will take a good deal of saving up to do. It basically hasn't really been touched since the 90s and I think the sink and bath are even older than that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't realize how all the small things like towel bars, toilet paper holder, and such added up. Thank goodness my tub and shower are in perfect condition. I would have to move walls to get that out. It is a one piece shower and tub in one.

      Delete
  4. You did a beautiful job! Looks awesome !
    Monica😊

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice; it's great to make do with what you have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just can't see tearing out stuff that is still perfectly good.

      Delete

Thanks so much for stopping by. I appreciate each and everyone of you. Please feel free to comment here or email me.