Monday, January 2, 2023

Motivation

 Some people have a lot of motivation and some don't.  I think I'm in the middle somewhere.  Some days I can get a lot done and others I sit on the couch endlessly scrolling through my phone.  How do find motivation?  How do you make it last?  I wish I had an easy answer.

I can tell you watching videos of already fit people telling me how to lose weight doesn't work.  Obviously I know lose weight quick schemes don't work either.  For those who follow me on FB know 2 years ago I went on WW (Weight Watchers) and lost quite a bit of weight.  What was my motivation?  I was getting ready to buy new pants in a larger size than the current 16 I was wearing.  I walked into work one day and told my coworkers I needed to do something.  I found out our insurance covered part of the WW fee and I signed up.  A couple other coworkers did as well once they found out.  I did great... for awhile.  I stalled out after I lost about 35lbs.  As of today I have put a few pounds back on and need to get back at it.  So, today I got back on my treadmill.  I just need to be consistent. But what will help me do that?  I listened to old country music while I walked and let my mind drift.  It helped pass the time.

Yesterday, I cleaned out under my kitchen sink.  I felt so accomplished.  So, after walking away from doing that I remembered a video I saw about organizing and cleaning out clutter.  Listen I know you should break big jobs into smaller tasks, but that is hard for me.  I tackle the big thing and get burnt out and then it sits undone.  Back to the video.  The woman took a single cardboard box and filled it with stuff to get rid of.  Then that was it for the day.  Right now, I have a lot of boxes around here.  You'd think I was moving or something.  Anyway, I got myself a box. 


I began with one cupboard.  The one that has all of the drinking cups, glasses, mugs, travel mugs, and all that sort of stuff. I have my favorite mugs, cups, and glasses I use all the time.  I loaded up my box with those I haven't touched in YEARS.  What is my motivation?  HOPEFULLY my son will get this house to rent and he needs kitchen stuff. 


I ended up gaining momentum and did all the cabinets EXCEPT the plastic Tupperware/Rubbermaid cabinet.  That is a very overwhelming task that I will have to do by itself. I ended up with all kinds of stuff and told my son and his girlfriend to come look through it before I loaded it into my car to donate.  As I type this the box is sitting next to me and has not been loaded into my car. I have to run into town so I will load it and take it or else I will end up changing my mind and keeping it. 


I guess the point to this post is find something, someone, podcast, music, book, or whatever it takes if you need a push to be more motivated or productive.  How do you get motivated?  What helps you get things done?  I'm always looking for new ideas. I have got to clean the clutter out of here.  I am drowning.

Pin It

6 comments:

  1. I think you've made an awesome start. You did MORE than you planned. One drawer, one cabinet, or one type of thing a day ...........it'll get done. The trick is to actually drop it off at the charity bin and not let any come back in the house.

    I did a huge clean out on the 31st. I think I have it scaled down to just the things we need (or the things we love) and now I need to give a good hard THINK about what I buy in the future so it doesn't end up at the charity shop at the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyday I'm trying to do a little more. Getting my stuff didn't happen overnight and it won't go away overnight.

      I have stopped going to the thrift store other than to drop things off. lol

      Delete
  2. I load boxes for removal, take them to the local women's shelter for those starting over, and then look for those items two months later. And wonder why I gave them away! I had four bags of clothing I don't wear, doesn't fit, and never got around to delivering. Now, there are two bags and the rest is back in my closet! I know if I get rid of the large punch bowl set that's been unused for two decades, I'll have a party and need it. I have a problem. You are doing great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! That is exactly my problem. I can talk myself into keeping because "I know I'll need it" but like you said I haven't used it in years.

      Delete
  3. Happy New Year. I de-cluttered my kitchen when we remodeled a few years ago. That was my motivation. LOL Janice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish there was a remodel in site. lol. I just know I have too much stuff. It is cluttering all kinds of things in life because of it.

      Delete

Thanks so much for stopping by. I appreciate each and everyone of you. Please feel free to comment here or email me.